Welcome to the Oakland Astronomy Club Website!
Our Club Is Located in Oakland County, Michigan
Fascinated by the Night Sky?
Have a question about Equipment?
Wondering how to get started?
Check us Out!
August 2020 Meeting is a Zoom Virtual Meeting!
(If you are a visitor you will need a Zoom invitation. Just contact our club president Mark Jeffery at jefamily AT wowway.com and he'll send you an invite! Club Members, Check your email for this month's Zoom invitation).
Next Meeting August 9th, 7 PM:
Join us as Bob Berta tells the story of "The World's Largest Refractor Telescope".
Public Viewing Nights at Addison Oaks with Our 17½" Telescope:
Cancelled until further notice. See (Event Calendar). (Normally we commit to one of the two nights of a weekend for public viewing, weather permitting).
Our summer of On-Line Presentations is in full swing! Check the (Event Calendar) for dates, times, and registration information for these family friendly presentations.
Astronomy News: (August 2020)
Welcome! We hope your experience on our website is enjoyable and informative.
Who are we? Well, apart from our mission statement below:
- We are based in Southeast Michigan's Oakland County.
- We operate a semi-dark sky observing site at Addison Oaks County Park, which is the home of the club's 17.5" dobsonian telescope.
- We put on educational programs for local schools, parks, and other organizations, including Star Parties!
- Membership is open to anyone with an interest in Astronomy. You don't need to own optical equipment to join - everyone from complete beginners to grizzled veterans are most certainly welcome!
- We have meetings at 7:00 PM on the second Sunday of every month except May, open to all interested parties, for the exchange of knowledge, information, and interesting discussions concering all aspects of Astronomy. Meetings are held at the Dinosaur Hill Nature Preserve in Rochester, Michigan. (Directions):
We all look forward to seeing you at the next club function!
Interested in becoming a member? Fill out the Membership Form to request more free information or contact us: (About Us):
The Oakland Astronomy Club, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization with the following registered purpose:
"To provide astronomical education through ownership and operation of facilities for the benefit of the general public, both youth and adult; to make available instructors for the conduct of seminars and class room education, which shall be available to other institutions of learning, public and private, as well as programs for the general public; to do research and study in the science of astronomy; to receive, administer and disburse funds for the furtherance of its educational purposes as well as for other charitable, philanthropic and scientific purposes for the public good and welfare and for no other purposes."